Monday, July 19, 2010

What is your Philosophy of Teaching and eLearning? What is the teacher's role? How do you strive to achieve this?

The slogan for judging the Intel International Science Fair is "Recognize the best; encourage the rest". This captures my philosophy of how teacher should intereact with their students. eLearning is particularly helpful in supporting this philosophy. A teacher is able to provide individual attention to each student - both acknowledging the accomplishments and providing corrective feedback.

For example, in my on-line teaching work, the student will take an automated lesson, at their own pace. As part of the lesson, a quiz is given at the end. During the lesson, I am available to answer questions and at the end, assess their mastery of the material. My interaction is based on my personal judgement. I usually start by asking a question reflective of the material learned. If the student does not seem to understand, I can provide more remedial instruction or if they to understand, provide a more complex problem for them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ann,

    I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing a very practical example on such important issue. I do believe in providing individual attention to students and I feel it is harder to do in my on-line classes. I do like your approach on constant feedback and providing harder questions as they improve.


    -Sara

    ReplyDelete